[Noisebridge-discuss] Grammar question regarding possessive apostrophe

Rachel McConnell rachel at xtreme.com
Sun Feb 7 23:30:53 UTC 2010

The apostrophe for possessives applies to everything except pronouns.
The three possessive pronouns are his, hers, and its.  They are the only
possessives that don't take an apostrophe.  Every other possessive does,
even plurals, although in the case of add-s plurals the apostrophe goes
after the final s ("all Noisebridge members' laptops" vs. "a Noisebridge
member's laptop").

"Strong enough to take a person's weight" is correct.

Other apostrophe rules are:

* contractions take an apostrophe at the point where the missing letters
are missing.  I can't think of an example now, but you often see cases
where the apostrophe is just stuck on there somewhere, in front or in
back.  You can actually contract just about anything correctly; for
example Jim often uses tho't for thought, and the apostrophe replaces
the ugh so this is fine, if idiosyncratic, usage.

* plurals MAY take an apostrophe if they are pluralizations of acronyms,
but this isn't required.  Non-acronym plurals NEVER take an apostrophe.
 Basically you can do pluralization of acronyms whichever way you want,
although inconsistency (as in my examples) looks weird.  Examples: ATMs,
LED's, NDAs, EULA's.

* you can use apostrophes as a substitute for double quotes, although
they're usually called single quotes in this case.  Many languages use
single quotes preferably to double quotes.  There are lots of variants
of quoting though.

Rachel "Grammar Nazi" McConnell