[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge Lending Library?

jim jim at well.com
Mon Feb 8 19:45:59 UTC 2010

   Many different people have donated books to the library.
Each with their own intentions.

   Before I brought in the big bunch of boxes, I discussed
them with some people with respect to sorting them not just
by category but by desirability and use.
   I tho't I was clear that the vetting process would be
with respect to keeping or discarding as well as to lending
or not. Those books not wanted for whatever reason I have
volunteered to dispose of in some other way.
   Some of the books I have presented for the Noisebridge
library were with the understanding that they were for the
library, for the use of all, not to be taken off premises.
The underlying intention is to build the value of the
library. The underlying concern is not to lose the books.
I hope concerns can be addressed in the now-long-delayed
vetting process.

   It seems to me that we should have two libraries, one
lending and the other non-lending. I believe most of the
books and other dead-tree items would be lendable and only
something like one or two hundred would be protected,
should we agree on that idea.

   At any rate, the vetting process of accepting the books
has been on hold until after we have built shelves. I'm
about done with my existing electrical promises and want
to turn my attention to the library bookshelves as well as
improving the storage room.
   I have repeatedly asked for help with building the
shelves and have gotten promises of eventual help. There
is a current plan for additional bookshelves that has
partly been blasted by the reshuffling of the sewing
machine work space, not that I'm complaining, just noting
that the move has ignored previous discussions claiming the
space for the eventual bookshelves by way of noting that
noisebridge resistance to formalities has its downsides.
Note I prefer the resistance to formalities overall and
accept the downsides of confusion and enhanced frustration.

   I believe that some of the books in the boxes are highly
valuable and hope that we can include them in the
noisebridge library and protect their existence there. I
think this is true for some of the books in the metal
shelves, too.
   It seems to me that resolving this matter involves
unwraveling issues of being excellent to each other.
jim