[Noisebridge-discuss] servers for NB?

John Magolske listmail at b79.net
Thu Feb 18 07:05:22 UTC 2010

* Jacob Appelbaum <jacob at appelbaum.net> [100217 10:57]:
> Is anyone interested in some rackable boxes for NB? Wikimedia is going
> to donate some servers to worthy non-profits:
> http://techblog.wikimedia.org/2010/02/server-decommissioning-donations/
>
> Perhaps we can run a wikipedia mirror at Noisebridge on old
> decommissioned wikimedia hardware?

In addition to a Wikipedia mirror, maybe we could use this to generate
& maintain up-to-date offline Wikipedia readers for folks to copy onto
their laptops. These are text-only, but very handy for quickly looking
up info while out of range of the internet.

I set up this one on my laptop:

  Small Wikipedia
  http://www.tfiu.de/smallwp/

The English version ended up being around 4 or 5 GB.

Another option:

  Building a (fast) Wikipedia offline reader
  http://users.softlab.ece.ntua.gr/~ttsiod/buildWikipediaOffline.html

I suppose there are more out there too.

John

--