[Noisebridge-discuss] The rats are getting ballsy

Sean W. Mahan sean at antiboredom.org
Wed Feb 24 21:23:50 UTC 2010

On Feb 24, 2010, at 12:43 PM, Rubin Abdi wrote:

> I'd like to restate something again, myself and a number of other people
> are completely against any efforts to do harm to the rats (i.e. poison,
> or traps intended to injure or kill them).

Listen, and understand. Those rats are out there. They can't be bargained with. They can't be reasoned with. They don't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And they absolutely will not stop – ever – until you are dead.

That said, we had mice at my apartment, and managed to clear them out through:

1. Cleaner living
2. A humane trap + accidentally catching one in a bucket
3. Plugging / blocking holes in the walls, floor, moulding, etc.

Those traps don't have a great reputation, but ours worked great once we figured out the right place to put it.  Do note that, at least with our mice, it was not at all obvious when we'd caught a critter (they were hard to spot through the translucent plastic, and if they hear people nearby they just get quiet).  We only noticed our first catch when the neighborhood cat wandered in and started sniffing around the trap.

Our mice are now earning a more honest living taking tourists' photos in Alamo Square.  It may end up being too small for rats, but I can drop off our mouse trap.

-Sean