[Noisebridge-discuss] The rats are getting ballsy

Gian Pablo Villamil gian.pablo at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 15:48:48 UTC 2010

Oh, if the rats are not more than a nuisance now, they will be soon.
Like I said, if we're not doing something to reduce their numbers, we
will eventually have more of them.

Here's what compounds the issue: we have a food market downstairs,
which is subject to all sorts of health and safety inspection. They
must have pest control measures in place. If they start having issues,
and it turns out that the 'reservoir of infection' is upstairs, then
we start having issues. I think if a health inspector turned up and
saw the space in the state that I have sometimes seen it (not just
messy, which is OK, but dirty, with food everywhere), they... would
not be happy. Not a problem yet, but we're trending towards it
becoming a problem.

In NY, and possibly in SF, pest control is treated as the collective
responsibility of all tenants. In our building we had a roach problem,
everyone was doing their part, but they kept coming back. It was
traced back to one tenant, a hoarder with a serious infestation. His
apartment was forcibly cleaned up and disinfected.

As for action...

I'll pick up some trash bins with lids today, and maybe we should give
the peppermint oil a try.

 But these are tech fixes for a social problem, which is getting
people to CLEAN UP THEIR FOOD REMNANTS. Seriously, it's disgusting.