[Noisebridge-discuss] The rats are getting ballsy

Christie Dudley longobord at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 20:06:04 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 7:48 AM, Gian Pablo Villamil
<gian.pablo at gmail.com>wrote:

> Here's what compounds the issue: we have a food market downstairs,
> which is subject to all sorts of health and safety inspection. They
> must have pest control measures in place. If they start having issues,
> and it turns out that the 'reservoir of infection' is upstairs, then
> we start having issues.

Oh no.  I wouldn't worry about US being the "reservoir of infection".  The
reason the back stairs smells so much like sewage/garbage all the time is
because they let a lot of stuff fall out of bins and sit and rot down there.
 As someone else pointed out, there were rats in the space when all that
happened there is sewing.

> In NY, and possibly in SF, pest control is treated as the collective
> responsibility of all tenants.

This might be true, but is totally not enforced.  If the grocery would clean
up their act, then we never would have had rats in the first place.  They do
not originate with us, and we're only mildly supporting them.  There are FAR
more rats in the basement of the building.

> As for action...
>
> I'll pick up some trash bins with lids today, and maybe we should give
> the peppermint oil a try.

Those trash cans would certainly be appreciated.  Thanks for your offer!

>  But these are tech fixes for a social problem, which is getting
> people to CLEAN UP THEIR FOOD REMNANTS. Seriously, it's disgusting.

Well, the disgusting factor is an entirely different thing.  Grossing your
friends out is indeed an "unexcellent" behavior.

Christie
_______
"We also briefly discussed having officers replaced by very small shell
scripts." -- Noisebridge meeting notes 2008-06-17

The outer bounds is only the beginning.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/genriel/sets/72157623376093724/