[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge Executive Director

Vlad Spears spears at 2secondfuse.com
Sat Feb 27 19:26:24 UTC 2010

On Feb 27, 2010, at 9:10 AM, Ani Niow wrote:

> According to our bylaws (https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Bylaws#ARTICLE_V_OFFICERS)
> , the ED's only responsibilities to preside over all board meetings
> and submit a financial report 120 days after the end of the fiscal
> year. Occasionally as an officer the ED may be asked to help or sign
> paperwork such as getting a seller's permit (which we've been trying
> to get for months but given the unclear status of if we have
> actually *had* an ED since October it has not happened yet). Other
> than that it's generally being an otherwise awesome contributor to
> Noisebridge.
>
> What the arguing is about is that some people feel that the ED
> should have more responsibility, such as being an advocate for
> Noisebridge in their travels and being a representative of sorts. I
> disagree with this view given we are a collective without anyone
> being in a hierarchy, we should all be doing this job as members and
> contributors.

So is this why Mitch was blocked as Executive Director?  These are two
different issues.

Issue 1) We need an Executive Director now.
Issue 2) Later, after much discussion, let's affirm or redefine
exactly what the Executive Director's role is.  If the person
currently in the role at a point of redefinition cannot fulfill it,
they can step down and a new Executive Director can be sought.

I'd like to point out while we are all advocates and representatives
of Noisebridge in the wider world, it would be poor planning not to
account for the fact our internal valuations do not match the wider
world's perceptions.  Noisebridge members generally know that
"Executive Director" does not mean "in charge" and is not a position
of power.  The outside world does not know this, and assumes the
inverse.  It seems particularly important, then, to have an Executive
Director who is not just generally awesome as a Noisebridge
contributor, but can explain this to the outside world while not being
prone to self-aggrandizement or assumption of power they do not
actually wield.  This fits Mitch like a glove.

Again, who blocked Mitch and why?

Vlad