[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge Executive Director

Ani Niow v at oneletterwonder.com
Sat Feb 27 17:10:17 UTC 2010

According to our bylaws (
https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Bylaws#ARTICLE_V_OFFICERS), the ED's only
responsibilities to preside over all board meetings and submit a financial
report 120 days after the end of the fiscal year. Occasionally as an officer
the ED may be asked to help or sign paperwork such as getting a seller's
permit (which we've been trying to get for months but given the unclear
status of if we have actually *had* an ED since October it has not happened
yet). Other than that it's generally being an otherwise awesome contributor
to Noisebridge.

What the arguing is about is that some people feel that the ED should have
more responsibility, such as being an advocate for Noisebridge in their
travels and being a representative of sorts. I disagree with this view given
we are a collective without anyone being in a hierarchy, we should all be
doing this job as members and contributors.

As a board member the only power I have is doing the will of the membership
when there's something you need a board member to do, such as some paperwork
and whatnot. The only reason why we even have a board and officers is
because to be a 501(c)3 you need these. Otherwise given the non-hierarchical
setup of our organisation everyone has equal input on what can be done with
Noisebridge though members do have consensus ability. I think asking more
responsibility for an ED than what's legally required is anthethical to our
collective setup and am a bit disappointed in some members that want to
focus on creating more unnecessary hierarchy. If you want an advocate you
should go and be one. Remember that this is a do-ocracy after all.

-Ani