[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge Executive Director

Shannon Lee shannon at scatter.com
Sat Feb 27 23:19:23 UTC 2010

The other important thing about the Executive Director position is that if
it comes to legal conflict, the Executive Director will have a lot of pull
in a court of law -- the State of California is extremely likely to take the
Executive Director's word for what the will of the organization is; so it's
sort of important that we have an ED who we trust to represent us.

If we want the ED to be a figurehead, it is important that we have one who
agrees that that's what he or she is supposed to do.

--S

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 3:00 PM, Jacob Appelbaum <jacob at appelbaum.net>wrote:

> aestetix aestetix wrote:
> > Now that it has hit the mailing list, a lot of people are going to be
> aware
> > of the "issue."
> >
> > Would someone politely explain what the purpose of Executive Director is,
> > without citing any legalese, and while keeping in mind to be excellent to
> > everyone else? I'm not asking what the "law" says the purpose is, I'm
> asking
> > to clarify why Noisebridge needs one.
> >
> > This is really important to keep in mind to prevent this process from
> > becoming something it's not and shouldn't be.
>
> The purpose of the Executive Director has historically been a point of
> legal liability and as a legal rubber stamp for the Will of the Membership.
>
> Best,
> Jake

Shannon Lee
(503) 539-3700