[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge Executive Director

Tomm tomm.fire at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 07:32:10 UTC 2010

On 2/27/2010 1:05 PM, Zedd Epstein wrote:
> There was only one person that blocked. She is not willing to change
> her position for the good of the organization as a whole, and our
> version of consensus doesn't allow us to just run her over. Therefore
> the only recourse we have is to find someone else that we can all
> agree on.

I don't think that requiring unanimous consent is a good thing for
Noisebridge.  Not that I know what Noisebridge is, really, or even know
the people involved, but I do know that if there are more than a handful
of people, unanimous consent doesn't have a good track record in
functional organizations.

"Many historians hold that a major cause of the Commonwealth's downfall
was the principle of /liberum veto"/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberum_veto

But no need to look that far back for examples: just look at Jim
Bunning's recent "accomplishment" in the US Senate.  For more problems,
look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consensus_decision-making#Criticisms

I support the tyranny of the majority for most decisions, and 2/3 vote
for important decisions (like ED votes).  It works, and I believe it's
what almost all organizations use [citation needed].

    Tom