[Noisebridge-discuss] LASER talks tonight

meredith scheff satiredun at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 16:05:49 UTC 2010

im thinking of going. anyone want to join?
http://www.leonardo.info/isast/events.html#LASER-Jan10

*6:45-7:10pm: Joe Davis (MIT Department of Biology) on "Rubisco Stars - An
Active SETI Message from Arecibo"*

A brief description of the transmission of a coded signal from the Arecibo
Observatory to commemorate the 35-year anniversary of the Drake message for
extraterrestrial intelligence (ETI). On November 7, 2009, a signal was
transmitted to intercept three stars likely to have planets (GJ 83.1; SO
025300.5+165258; G5B).

*7:10-7:35: Helen Mayer Harrison and Newton Harrison on "How can art help
create a sustainable world?"*

"The Force Majeure" is a work to reflect on the oncoming effects of Global
Warming from a whole systems perspective. What can culture do, specifically
the artist, as a response to the loss of glaciation and the ensuing problems
with rivers and droughts in a region like Tibet? This work suggests a
sweeping, but possible, biological response to the 2.4 million square
kilometers of the Tibetan plateau as well as to other regions of the world.

*7:35-7:50: BREAK*

*7:50-8:15pm: Darlene Lim (NASA) on "Learning by doing: A Hitchhikers' Guide
to the Scientific Training of Moon and Mars Bound Astronauts"*

Humans are set to return to the Moon. Astronauts will to be chosen from a
variety of backgrounds. As we train them for their missions, we also want to
put the heart and soul of humanity back in space exploration. We will focus
on teaching them how to think and operate as field scientists and not just
proxy scientists, by training them in Field Science and Exploration camps,
notably at at Pavilion Lake , an artist's paradise. This will give them the
chance to learn in a social environment, as humans do best. The experiment
at Pavilion Lake will also include an artist in residence program.

*8:15-8:45pm: Laura Granka (Google and Stanford Univ) on "Applying
Ethnography to Search"*

People acquire information from a number of different sources, and online
search is only one part of this equation. By conducting ethnographic
research in homes and offices, we are better able to capture the number of
different tools, techniques, and sources that people use for information
discovery. At Google, I have conducted a great deal of research to better
understand how all of these elements factor into the information seeking
process. I'll share the insights I've learned from this research, as well as
discuss how fostering effective collaboration with design and engineering
teams has enabled Google to turn user behavior research insights into
actionable ideas for product development and design.I acquired a camera and
began noticing, and photographing, formations in the macroscopic world that
much resembled what was seen in the microscope.

--
doing stuff and making things
---