[Noisebridge-discuss] how much current can you put through skin (comfortably)?

Mikolaj Habryn dichro at rcpt.to
Wed Jan 6 21:58:57 UTC 2010

We did some experiments on this at sensebridge -
https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/NBC_2009August2 - and from memory,
our rough conclusions were:

DC is bad news - common theme was feeling nothing as voltage was
gradually turned up, and then having a small sensation that rapidly
escalated into significant pain without needing the voltage to
increase - theory goes that once it starts to hurt, your skin does
something (like sweat) which improves conductivity and it hurts more -
lather, rinse, repeat.

AC is interesting - 1mA seems to be a good upper bound for current,
and we experimented with a voltage range of about 5 - 20 (don't recall
if that's RMS or peak, though). If you make a current source that's
capped at 0.5mA or so, without being able to go above 15V, I'd imagine
you'd get good results.

m.