[Noisebridge-discuss] How do you secure your public wifi usage?

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Wed Jan 6 23:36:40 UTC 2010

Sai Emrys writes:

> Is there an advantage that -w gives that -D does not? I confess ignorance here.

I've never used -w, but if it implements TUN, it should be possible to
use it with _any_ kind of IP packet (not just TCP and UDP, which
SOCKS5 supports).  Thus, you could presumably do ping and traceroute
(which rely on ICMP) and other non-TCP/UDP protocols like SCTP.  That
would definitely not be possible with the SOCKS proxy created by -D.

If you're using TCP or UDP over TUN, you should also be able to see
the individual packets, whereas SOCKS5 will just show you their
payloads.

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org> | Qué empresa fácil no pensar en
     http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/   | un tigre, reflexioné.