[Noisebridge-discuss] Bringing Down the Credit Bureaus

Brian Molnar brian.molnar at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 02:21:28 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 6:10 PM, Jason Dusek <jason.dusek at gmail.com> wrote:

>   On problem I see with your system is that you have a default
>  judgement in favour of the lending institution. It would be
>  nice to have something more compatible with the notion of
>  innocence in the absence of evidence.

Oh sorry I forgot to add that. I figured it would be just the opposite. When
a negative claim is issued it may be disputed. When a user disputes the
claim, then the lender would be given some amount of time in which to
provide records (contracts, receipts for services, etc) to support the
claim. The timing would probably be somewhere around 60-90 days, just as a
guess. If no action is taken by the company by then, the claim is removed.

Of course this is where the dispute remediation comes in. So some additional
mechanism would be needed here, be it a really good AI (unlikely) or humans.
Also, one could expect that nearly all negative claims would be disputed, so
perhaps there could be a deterrent to firivlous disputes. Maybe something
along the lines of what you were saying before - if each company and
individual carried with them a record of the number of disputes they've been
involved in and the number they have won/lost, then potential
creditors/borrowers could use that information in making their decisions.

The solution above is an idea, I'm sure there may be better ways to ensure
fairness, so I'd certainly love to hear other ideas.

- Brian