[Noisebridge-discuss] Bringing Down the Credit Bureaus

Brian Molnar brian.molnar at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 06:14:09 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 6:47 PM, dpc <weasel at meer.net> wrote:

> a small thing...
>
> i think that banks/lenders would have an issue if the claim was
> cancelled entirely on payment (not even as a note or something). i can
> see this as: i'm budgetting based on payment in a certain window, having
> 'lateness' and 'goodness' being equal in a report reduces its utility.

On flip-side this could be used as an incentive to get people to settle the
debt ASAP. It would save them the hassle of having to send an account into
collections. I could imagine for instance that someone forgets to pay their
electric bill, and 30 days later they get a notification that their credit
profile is about to be dinged and that they have 10 days to settle it with
the electric company. If the company gets its money within that 10 days,
that saves them a lot of time and money by not having to get people to hound
them to pay up.

But you have a point, maybe there could be a more fine grained approach to
this. It could include late payments, late payments that were sent to
collections, debts that went to court, etc.

- Brian