[Noisebridge-discuss] Spacebridge launch planning meeting, Sunday 1/10, 5pm

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Thu Jan 7 21:04:19 UTC 2010

Excerpts from Christie Dudley's message of Thu Jan 07 12:59:07 -0800 2010:
> Remember guys, we were looking at needing a 30 mile range.  Is a
> LOS/directional solution good to that distance?  Someone had mentioned
> shortwave earlier.  What kind of power requirements does it have?  What
> works best in an unbalanced circumstance (all the power at the ground
> station)?

If you have line-of-sight, you can go quite a ways with low power
through the atmosphere.
With tracking directional antennas on the ground, my rough estimate
would be 250 mW+ ERP. 500 mW - 1W to be safe.

Shortwave / HF requires big antennas.

--j