[Noisebridge-discuss] [Noisebridge-announce] wearables workshop

Christie Dudley longobord at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 16:47:35 UTC 2010

Having the simple stuff would be pretty trivial.  EL wire wouldn't wear well
under road conditions, but I think it'd be pretty easy to just sew it on as
piping and light it up.  On any garment you could sew piping to.  It's not
easy to work with, but once you get the hang of it, it's just a matter of a
lot of hand stitching.

Making it flash and change?  That's a bit harder.  Because of the weird
transformers that it needs, I'd probably just want to interrupt the battery
circuit for switching on and off for signalling.

Check out Cool Neon's catalog for interesting ideas.  They have all sorts of
glowy-blinkies.  You can also get all sorts of crazy lights for your
motorcycle, from neon spark plug wires to LED strips designed to run off
12V.  You might check into the legality, but from the look of these mod
kits, I'm thinking that it depends on HOW the lights are used as to what you
can do with them.  For example, you could probably have red EL piping all
along your jacket and it would be fine as long as it didn't get beyond a
certain brightness.  But of course, it probably wouldn't hurt to check.

Christie
_______
Getting to the bottom of the hill is convenient. The view from the top of
the hill is stunning. Where would you choose to live?