[Noisebridge-discuss] why a sine wave?

Ayer Geisinger ayergeisinger at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 07:02:45 UTC 2010

Oops.

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 10:59, Michael Shiloh
<michaelshiloh1010 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Why do we perceive a sine audio wave as a "pure" tone? Does it have to
> do with the mechanical vibrations in our ear? Does any non-sine wave
> introduce harmonics, vibrations other than the fundamental, which our
> brain perceives as non-pure?
>
> Regardless of mechanics, what is the perceptive reason a sine wave
> sounds pure?

 Wait. OK, so if we have cones of hairs, each cone and each hair narrowing
pretty rapidly and sloping in toward a point at the common center say 1 1/2
times (? I'm not gonna go out for an image right now) as high as the
diameter of the circle circumscribing the bunched bases of the tuftlet, and
there's a little beach-ball stuck out horizontally (?) from the side of some
hair(s) at the apex, what are the resonant frequencies / modes of vibration
of them all / the tuft as a whole?  Maybe a tuft is better than a single
cone at damping out certain things. (Or p'raps its just that |_{HAIR}_| is a
part that happens to be ready-at-hand on the genetic hack-shelf).

Actually, what I wanna know ...rather, isn't it really a question of the
clumping / gap patterns in the train of those axon action-potential spikes
that you get in the attached neurons [at different volumes?]?
Maybe sine waves produce very evenly evenly spaced spikes or something. Or
something cooler: maybe sines do something else kinda simple, but there's
something better than a sine wave, that would provide the perfect spike
train, and matches our architecture in there better, and would sound even
more "fundamental" in the gen'l sense of the word. Or just sound some
particular flavor of Amazing.

I mean for someone with neurons sculpted via a lifetime of primarily modern
western temperament music.

It'd be cool to look up for five hours. Maybe people have sacrificed other
auditory-cilia animals to measure same?

Tho' it seems a diifferent question from the one you asked.
I'm just sayin'