[Noisebridge-discuss] Best strategy and currency for foreign travel..

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Mon Jan 25 15:15:16 UTC 2010

karen marcelo wrote:
> should be ok.  i think they just dont like to be surprised.
>
> i'm just surprised you have to tell them where you're going and when.  seems like it's none of their business.
> and it's a recent thing too.  never had such problems before this year...

I've had some problems traveling with ATM cards in the past:
http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2006/03/class_break_of.html
http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2006/03/more_on_the_atm.html

Sometimes it helps to inform your bank. Sometimes it doesn't matter and
the banks will fuck you over anyway. Only if you make their stock drop
will they backpedal and perhaps they'll call to apologize. But perhaps
you'll be stranded without money in the meantime.

Best,
Jake