[Noisebridge-discuss] TechShop might open a SF location

Lamont Lucas lamont at cluepon.com
Thu Jan 28 20:50:43 UTC 2010

Jacob Appelbaum wrote:
> What does Tech Shop have that Noisebridge people want to use? Why don't
> we bring those things to Noisebridge?

For me it's the two laser cutters, the giant shopbot CNC for wood that
you can fit a door on, and the tormach 4 axis CNC for cutting
aluminum/plastic with crazy high precision.

The laser cutters are, I believe, the most used machines at TechShop and
NYC Resistor has managed to keep and not destroy one of them in a
similar environment to NB.  That said, it's pretty easy to mess one up
by cutting something that off-gasses caustic fumes, and during the
TechShop checkout class for the laser they had stories of two buildings
that had burned down when someone left a laser unattended.

We have a "bring a laser to NB" thread every 4 months or so.  Be sure to
change the subject if this becomes the next one.