[Noisebridge-discuss] TechShop might open a SF location

Ani Niow v at oneletterwonder.com
Thu Jan 28 21:22:52 UTC 2010

I don't even think we can fit all the various amounts of machines they
have inside. Besides the aforementioned and popular laser cutter, they
not only have larger and more powerful equivilent equipment as us
(lathe, mill, 3D printer to name a few), but also several we would
never get.

They also house a good number of manually controlled machines, such as
Bridgeport mills, plasma cutters, welders, the list really goes on and
on.

The great thing about TechShop is they're only purpose is to house
those machines and to let people use them. They have designed the
facilities around them and have knowledgable staff to teach you how to
use them and more staff to maintain them, something which Noisebridge
doesn't consistently have.

As an occasional machinist there is some equipment that I don't
believe Noisebridge has the facilities for and are not appropriate for
our venue. I would be more than happy to pay TechShop $75/month (yay
student discount) to access stuff like a laser cutter or a much higher
quality 3D printer rather than pitch in to get NB such equipment.

-Ani