[Noisebridge-discuss] N00b question - changing power supply voltage

Sean Cusack sean.p.cusack at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 20:57:21 UTC 2010

Hey kids -

So, I've got a relatively simple dilemma that I sure pops up all the time
for those of you that are way better at electronics than me. I've got a
power supply providing a fixed 24V @ 4.5A, but I only want to use 12V of
that for my circuit. I originally thought I could lower the voltage using a
potentiometer, but because the power is so high, they all cost some serious
bank. Is there another (not necessarily analog) solution to changing voltage
and/or amperage through a circuit that is cheap to build?

Sorry if this one is likely obvious - but everyone can blame Mitch for
getting me way to into electronics for my own good :).

Sean