[Noisebridge-discuss] Calling Math/stat/machine learning geeks

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Tue Jul 13 16:56:27 UTC 2010

Hidden Markov Models (HMMs) seem to be everywhere in my life that's interesting. Yet, I haven't mastered them.

I know the building blocks: first conditional probability, second Baye's theorem, then Dynamic Baysean networks.

I could 'teach' the first two easily enough (given proper time), but the last few are stumbling blocks for me. The wiki page for Baysean networks is simple enough --- but I get stuck.

HMMs are used in voice recognition, protein analysis, and so many other things.

We have a machine learning group here -- would enough people be able to help us get over the hump? I'd like to be able to understand enough to do a toy programming example. Is anyone else interested in learning?

Thanks in advance...

Glen