[Noisebridge-discuss] tor proxies

travis+ml-noisebridge at subspacefield.org travis+ml-noisebridge at subspacefield.org
Thu Jul 15 16:59:43 UTC 2010

Hey all,

I notice NB has a tor network.

I've been implementing something similar at home by installing tor and polipo
together, so that I can select the polipo proxy as a proxy (using e.g. FoxyProxy)
and go over tor.

Actually, torbutton works better, especially against hostile web sites trying
to identify you, and if your cache isn't on an encrypted disk.  However, it does
not work for other browsers or HTTP clients, which my polipo-tor Ubuntu package
does.

I am wondering what NB uses, and if they solved the DNS lookup problem
(it's UDP, so doesn't normally get tunnelled over tor, which IIUC is
TCP-only).

I am also wondering if anyone thinks the polipo-tor package useful enough
to put in Ubuntu repositories.
--
A Weapon of Mass Construction