[Noisebridge-discuss] BP Busted altering photos !!!!!

Walter Funk marybraindoe at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 20 19:30:24 UTC 2010

Hey anyone at Noisebridge know how to use this program called Photoshop? I can get you a job at BP! Dirty money, but hey The Gulf is dirty too.

Busted! Caught Red Handed!!!!!     It was 'the photographers fault', yeah right!

By the way, BP & our administration is working hard behind the scenes to start drilling in the Antarctic, as soon as January.

http://www.americablog.com/2010/07/bp-photoshops-fake-photo-of-command.html

An astute reader noticed that the meta info for the photo says it was created in 2001, not July 16, 2010 as claimed on BP's site. It looks like BP took a photo from 2001, and in order to make it look like the command center in July of 2010, they pasted pictures of the oil well leaking over the old photo.

Apparently BP is no more adept at doctoring photos than it is at plugging deep-sea oil leaks.

A blogger has noticed that the oil giant altered a photograph of its Houston crisis room, cutting and pasting three underwater images into a wall of video feeds from remotely operated undersea vehicles. The altered photo is displayed prominently on the company's Web site.

An enlarged version of the photograph reveals flaws in the editing job. One of the 10 images sticks down into the head of one of the people sitting in front of the wall, while another piece of the image is separated from the other side of the head by jagged white space. The right side of the same image also hangs down below the area on which the video feeds were projected.

Dean said BP usually has a couple remotely operated vehicles on the surface at any given time for maintenance.

"We will replace the Photoshopped version currently on bp.com with the original image tonight," he added. "We've instructed our post-production team to refrain from doing this in the future."