[Noisebridge-discuss] Connecting 128 EL-Wires to an Arduino

Gregg Tavares nbridge at greggman.com
Fri Jul 23 00:58:47 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 9:35 AM, Josh Myer <josh at joshisanerd.com> wrote:

> The question is how long you want to run this stuff.  EL wire tends to be
> very low-power, so you just need some nice solid inverters and handful of
> serious batteries (or one motorcycle battery, depending on how your'e using
> this).
>
> There's also the fact that EL Wire is ~1.50$/foot.  If you've got a yard on
> each of your 128 ports, that's $1,000 in wire alone.

It's about 1.5 feet to a few inches per.  Any suggestion for a good place to
by? Coolwire

>  If it's less than that... that's a lot of terminating.

Thanks! Yea, I'm not looking forward to the terminating. I'm even more sad
that EL-WIRE wears out :-(

> What's your final application look like?

It's a costume, fullbody, head to toe, finger tip to finger tip. I'm still
working out the exact arrangements of the el-wires.