[Noisebridge-discuss] Looking for a collaborator(s) for an upcoming call for entries

- noisebridge at splattercast.com
Thu Jul 22 02:50:39 UTC 2010

Hi Noisebridge. I'm new here and only wrote to this list once, and i guess I caused a little stir when i commented on the tone of some of the messages. No hard feelings, I hope. I'm still around and just received a call for entries for an art+tech exhibition happening in SF with a deadline just a couple of weeks out (proposals). It looks like a fairly detailed proposal (that is, persuasive) would be enough to at compete on par with other entrants... but i don't have anyone to collaborate with in town, and what i know from reading this list and from one visit to the 5 minutes of fame is that there are tons of people around Noisebridge who might be fun work with, and who have some skillz...

Here's a URL for the call:
	http://www.thelab.org/component/content/article/452.html

Deadline is July 31 for a proposal, then the exhibition happens after, meaning there is time to make the thing proposed in-between, but that it really is a commitment to delivering something...

As I'm new in town, i have been thinking about some themes related to being the new kid in town / being lost / frustrated / alone / or otherwise apart from other people, both strangers here and friends far away. But I'm not wedded to that, and haven't gone too far with it, so i'm pretty open. Mostly I would really like to find a collaborator or two and build something cool/good/thought-provoking/clever/otherwise worth of existence, for this exhibition.

My background includes computer science, photojournalism, video production, location-based technologies, and lots of other tech. I'm not a hardware hacker (yet) but pretty good at gluing together hardware that already works (little computers, analog stuff thru converters, that sort of thing). I write code. I'm not into blinky nothings that don't engage some kind of deeper concept, but think that for a project like this, something simple and straightforward, but still with some meaning/purpose/evocative property,  is appropriate and has the best chance of connecting with the visitors who observe or interact with "it", and I'd like that very much.

Anyway, I'm google-stalk-able for both good and bad backstory. Note that the facebook page that comes up early isn't me.
	http://www.google.com/search?q=%22jim+youll%22
	http://www.google.com/search?q=%22james+youll%22
If after checking out the call for entries, and me, you're interested in getting together really really super right now soon to see if we're might collaborate and to throw some ideas around, please get in touch!

Cheers
- jim