[Noisebridge-discuss] 6-July Meeting Notes/Help Correct/Spell/Wikify/Post

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Fri Jul 9 21:31:31 UTC 2010

> == Membership Binder ==
>
> The following names were read from the membership binder:
>
> (Some names will be misspelled and the phrases from the binder was not
> captured exactly).

A point of etiquette about the names, reasons for wanting to join, and
other stuff in the membership binder:

Part of the reason that the membership binder is made of paper, hard to
copy, and only in the space is to discourage publishing the names in the
binder. We really only have it because we felt it to be requirement as a
501c3 with Members (rather than members).

There was a lot of discussion about this requirement and we went with a
flimsy paper document to satisfy it. This helped us to meet what we
thought were some basic requirements without having to worry about the
entire internet easily having a copy. It would be pretty trivial to
copy, steal, or violate the people who are in the book but generally,
that requires entering the space, talking to people, and hopefully
giving up on such a mission before reaching the alter. :-)

Not everyone is free to associate with a group of self-proclaimed
hackers; while many are eager to join, we generally allow those people
to form their own connections to Noisebridge on the internet.

Signing up to become a member shouldn't indicate consent for publishing
those names or their reasons for wanting to join. Especially when
they're not yet members of the Great Noisebridge Clergy. :-)

In summary: Even though we read the names aloud at the meeting, it's
pretty un-excellent to publish the reading in the weekly notes.

All the best,
Jake