[Noisebridge-discuss] Arduino!

Sean Cusack sean.p.cusack at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 22:37:16 UTC 2010

Dr. Michael -

Thank you for a perfect intro class. I'm thrilled that I am now about 100%
more Arduino-phillic than I was when I started (and this is *exactly* what I
needed out of the class). Here are my thoughts on your questions:

(1) Is it permissible to request money at NB?
(2) Would this policy cause you not to come?

Given the do-acracy, I would assume yes, you could collect money. However, I
think this could be a little sticky since everything I've seen taught at NB
is free or cost of components only. I would encourage you to possibly do a
less frequent schedule, but any donations you make would go to the NB space.
I guess I have a bit of a concern that this sort of opens the door to NB
being a space where teachers make a profit and students pay money (a school)
instead of a place where hackers help other hackers make cool shit (a
hackerspace). Would I not come over this? I'd likely still be there either
way...the aforementioned sentence is just my opinion.

(3) Would you be interested in an Arduino companion kit of components,
solderless breadboard, and wire sold pretty much at cost? I'm thinking
of things like LEDs, switches, light sensors, potentiometers, and a
motor. I think we could do this for about $20.

This would kick ass! I would so buy this. Why not mark this up a bit to make
some cash for yourself instead of charging for the class? It seems much more
obvious to me (for some reason) that this is a hacker providing hardware and
a finder's fee, and not a teacher/student thingy.

-Sidenote-: Once a week seems like a lot to me. If you only do the class
every other/or even 1x a month it gives people a chance to putz with the
boards and try to implement some of the stuff that was taught IMO. People
that want to speed up can likely contact you on the side (and you'd make
bank!), or use tha intarwebz or NB resources.

-Sean