[Noisebridge-discuss] Charging for classes at Noisebridge

Leif Ryge leif at synthesize.us
Sat Jul 17 18:25:54 UTC 2010

On 07/17/2010 01:57 AM, Naomi Most wrote:
> To summarize my own position:  I'm pro for-pay classes as a means of
> attracting and keeping nifty people at Noisebridge, and I don't see
> any downsides to allowing it.

You don't see any downsides? A bunch of downsides (to having them
regularly; I think we all agree that "allowing" anything is not an
issue) have been raised. Are you just implicitly rejecting all of them?
Because, you didn't respond to any of the downsides, you only responded
to some easily-surmountable implementation details.

Another downside which I only barely touched on but I think is pretty
obvious is that after there are a few regular pay classes there will be
more and eventually there will be less free classes. In this scenario,
Noisebridge becomes just another mundane school in the city, where
people who can afford it pay for classes and people who can't don't feel
welcome. I know I'm not the the only NB member who doesn't have any
interest in supporting a place like that.

I think rubin said it pretty well:
> Part of the reason I pay dues is to support free classes (with the
> exception of asking for money to cover class materials, etc). I think
> that the fact that we have classes for free has brought in more members
> into the space then any other effort put together by our community. In
> my humble opinion charging for classes will be more of a negative impact
> financially in the long run.
>
> To both of those point, if classes held at Noisebridge were to start
> charging in general, then I would discontinue paying my dues.

Are you sure you don't see any downsides?

Are you actually intending convey the message "I understand that doing
this could cause us to lose some members, but I don't see that as a
downside" ?

Over the last year, I've seen the faces of countless people light up
when upon hearing that every event at Noisebridge is free. On more than
one occasion I've seen people ask how they can join (and then add their
name to the membership binder) immediately upon hearing that everything
is equally free for members and non-members alike. The awesomeness of
our radical inclusionism should not be underestimated.

There's no shortage of venues for paid classes in San Francisco.
However, I don't know of anywhere else where all classes are free where
you can learn the kind of things people learn at Noisebridge. I think
being open to everyone, regardless of their financial status, is an
essential part of our successful formula. We've got a
golden-egg-laying-goose here, people. I can't stop you from killing it,
but I can ask you not to.

Please don't charge for classes at Noisebridge.

~leif