[Noisebridge-discuss] rant: youtube as documentation (hijacked thread was: Re: "Half-rap" music and "Grabbing a record")

Michael Shiloh michaelshiloh1010 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 20:17:42 UTC 2010

I hate this growing trend of using Youtube instead of written
instructions. Never mind that I don't like using Flash (at all, and
especially not on Linux), the real problem is that my brain doesn't
process information at the same speed as the video shows, and I'd rather
have written words and/or pictures in front of me that I can browse as
slowly or as rapidly as I wish, and can go back and forth, and even open
in multiple windows so that I can see different steps at the same time.

There is something else that bothers me about it that I can't quite put
my finger on.

Nothing against Martin, of course, at all.

By the way, I'm very happy to know that Vari-fi can be done on Audacity.
I'll look for a written howto guide...

On 07/19/2010 12:46 PM, Martin Bogomolni wrote:
>>    3. There is an effect in many songs that sounds
>>       like grabbing a playing record to slow it
>>       down to a stop.
>>       Is there a name for this effect?
>>       Any hints on how to achieve this, say in
>>       Audacity, Ableton Live, etc. ?
>
> Vari-fi done on Audacity -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCae-TJBc4s

Sent from my ASR-33