[Noisebridge-discuss] "Half-rap" music and "Grabbing a record"

lee worden wonder at riseup.net
Mon Jul 19 22:21:33 UTC 2010

>   3. There is an effect in many songs that sounds
>      like grabbing a playing record to slow it
>      down to a stop.
>      Is there a name for this effect?
>      Any hints on how to achieve this, say in
>      Audacity, Ableton Live, etc. ?

Audacity's "Sliding Time Scale/Pitch Shift" can do something like it, but
it doesn't seem to go to low enough pitch to sound right.  Also, on my
laptop this effect crashes on short selections, so I had to slow down the
piece of audio I was playing with to make it long enough, then do the
effect and speed it up again.

It looks like it could be done using the "Nyquist prompt" in Audacity -
this would require learning something about Nyquist scripting, which is a
sort of lisp for sound processing.  I looked at the docs for a minute and
it looks like Nyquist's "sound-warp" function is a good starting point.

lw