[Noisebridge-discuss] Charging for classes at Noisebridge

Naomi Most pnaomi at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 19:37:29 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 12:17 PM, Albert Sweigart <asweigart at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 12:00 PM,
> <noisebridge-discuss-request at lists.noisebridge.net> wrote:
>> Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 11:11:12 -0700
>> From: Josh Berkus <josh at agliodbs.com>
>> Subject: Re: [Noisebridge-discuss] Charging for classes at Noisebridge
>> To: noisebridge-discuss at lists.noisebridge.net
>>
>> On 7/17/10 4:37 PM, David Yao wrote:
>>> Basically, regardless of whether class fees are good or bad for NB, I
>>> want to say that enforcement of class fees is not viable in the NB
>>> environment. I think instructors can ask for money, they just shouldn't
>>> expect it or demand it.
>>
>> I think this is a rather insurmountable argument against presenter fees.
>>
>> Might I suggest revisiting my proposal to give "membership credit" to
>> regular instructors, *instead of* fees?  That is, course hours would
>> count against monthly membership fees?
>>

> The problem with this is that now instead of people taking the class
> paying the instructor, Noisebridge is effectively subsidizing and
> paying the instructor. I think more people would have issue with that.
> It also means we would have to add process and regulation: How much do
> instructors get credited? Is it by hour? Per class? Does the
> sophistication level of the class count for anything? Answering these
> questions would require a lot more politics than the benefit is worth.

Exactly what I was thinking.  Just to add to the questions:   What if
nobody shows up?  What if consistently nobody shows up, and the
teacher still expects to have their membership dues subsidized?

Anyway, we seem to burn out accountants at NB just making them deal
with the *existing* administration load...

--Naomi

--
Naomi Theora Most
naomi at nthmost.com