[Noisebridge-discuss] Charging for classes at Noisebridge

Christie Dudley longobord at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 21:46:01 UTC 2010

_______
"Would you rather be a lion in captivity and live 24 years, or in the wild
and live 10-14 years? Answer the question every morning then look at your
condition." -- Nassim N Taleb

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 12:17 PM, Albert Sweigart <asweigart at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 7/17/10 4:37 PM, David Yao wrote:
>
> I think this is a rather insurmountable argument against presenter fees.

I disagree that lack of "enforcement" is an insurmountable goal.  If an
instructor needs to know everyone who's hearing what they have to say is
paying them, then Noisebridge is seriously the wrong place for them.  If,
however, they'd like the serious students they're paying attention to give
them money, that's a different animal. What's the difference between paying
for materials with a bit more and paying just a bit more?

> > Might I suggest revisiting my proposal to give "membership credit" to
> > regular instructors, *instead of* fees?  That is, course hours would
> > count against monthly membership fees?

> Answering these
> questions would require a lot more politics than the benefit is worth.

More basic than the questions Al brought up and the administrative overhead
which Naomi brought up... this is a question we wrestled with when Molly
volunteered to clean for us.  There was a funny issue that we could pay her
and have her pay her dues, but we couldn't offer her a membership in
exchange.  I don't remember all the details, but I remember being told it
was against the non-profit rules.

Also, it doesn't address the problem brought up earlier of having people
committed to classes, which I'm still struggling with in my mind.

Christie