[Noisebridge-discuss] hacking digital camera/binocular combo

jim jim at well.com
Sat Jul 24 19:10:16 UTC 2010

   Thanks T and Jof. I'll try T's suggestion.

   Currently:
   i diff'd copies of /var/log/dmesg with and without
the camera attached at boot time and there's no diff;
i inspected /var/log/dmesg "manually" and could find
nothing; grepping the dmesg files for usb yielded
nothing; running lshal and lsmod and lsusb yielded
nothing, where "nothing" means nothing that seemed of
the camera, at least nothing i noticed.
   oddly, the camera "sees" the computer: if  <----
connected, it stays on; if unconnected it turns
itself off.
   seems i'm not noticing something that is there in
the files and command reports, but this is after
repeated inspections, so i have given up temporarily
and plan to do it again with a different, hopefully
clearer, brain.
   the thing was made in china, comes with arcsoft
software, was branded by sharper image and i think
some others.
   i've been hoping to save the images, but the
batteries are getting low and the instructions say to
get the images off before changing batteries; i may
try to alligator-clip to an outside set of batteries
and hope i can then swap new batteries without losing
power (and images).
   if anyone's interested, i can bring it in (i'd
like that).

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 7:28 PM, Jonathan Lassoff <jof at thejof.com>