[Noisebridge-discuss] hacking digital camera/binocular combo

jim jim at well.com
Fri Jul 23 00:51:40 UTC 2010

   a combo digital camera and binoculars has a usb cable
with standard usb on one end and micro-USB on the other
and comes with a CD with arcsoft photoimpression 5 for
windows.
   i installed the software on both a windows laptop
and my linux laptop, seems to work (linux uses wine).
   connecting the cam-bino via usb to either machine
gets nothing, not via the gui, not via the command line
(mount, fdisk, lsusb....
   i don't have a second cable to swap in (i've got a
cable with standard usb on one end and mini-usb on the
other).
   the on-board camera works, we can see pictures, the
other features seem to work.

   i was surprised after just connecting it to my linux
laptop that the laptop showed nothing connected, but i
figured maybe it required some software.
   maybe it's the cable, maybe the on-board connector...,
anybody have a clue?

hopefully, with thanks,
jim