[Noisebridge-discuss] Newbie Question : Help identifying potentiometer

David Rorex drorex at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 23:33:50 UTC 2010

There's nothing much special about potentiometers. It's just a variable
resistor. Pretty much any variable resistor about the same range (say 200k -
300k) should work fine in the circuit. You only need a specific one if you
want it to fit into the PCB, since they come in different shapes and sizes.
But if you are rebuilding it from scratch, that's not needed. Bigger ones
are obviously easier to use, since you have a knob you can turn by hand,
whereas the tiny ones need a small screwdriver to adjust (or possibly your
fingernail).

Speaking of cheap parts, it's often much cheaper to buy them in multiples
like 25 or 100. I tend to order things like this from digikey.com, another
distributor similar to jameco. But that's just personal preference. Another
place to get parts for extra cheap are the so called "surplus" sites. Their
selection is much less, and sometimes the deals are not that great, but
sometimes they can be significantly cheaper. Example are
http://allelectronics.com/ and http://goldmine-elec.com/

BTW, in the future, if you have basic electronics questions & don't get an
answer here, try asking at http://chiphacker.com/

-David R
PS: Make Adobe put GPU acceleration for gfx rendering on desktops in Flash
11. Thnx.