[Noisebridge-discuss] Newbie Question : Help identifying potentiometer

Tymm Twillman tymmothy at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 01:02:42 UTC 2010

standard places to look for specific (but common) parts are http://mouser.com and http://digikey.com ... either one you can enter "potentiometer 220k" into the search box and get a selection of parts (note that sometimes it has looser ideas about some of the keywords, so you need to verify the parts meet requirements when looking through the selections).

you can add "piher" to the search if you want to restrict the manufacturer as well.

there are a couple of types of potentiometers to select between -- at one level there's "linear" vs. "logarithmic"/audio pots (linear the resistance is completely proportional to the turn, log means the resistance increases/decreases on a logarithmic scale... primarily used in audio because that better matches the response of ears).

you can also get single or multiple pots in one (like, for stereo stuff so you can increase one channel as you decrease another, with no mixing).  this is beyond the 3 connections on a standard pot so you can connect to either or both ends of the scale.

additionally you can get pots that are single-turn or 5- or 10-turn.  the ones with more turns give you more control since per turn angle there's a smaller change in resistance.

basically for this application though, if you go to mouser and type in "potentiometer piher 220k" you should get several to choose from; difference will be mostly in sizes.  click on the catalog page link and make sure it looks like what you want, then go back and order however many you want.

a couple of other places you can look (i'm sure others will have additional suggestions; plenty of places out there)are:

http://element-14.com
http://allelectronics.com
(surplus) http://goldmine-elec.com

though the last two won't have as comprehensive catalogs to choose from, they may be cheaper, especially for small quantities. (note also that Digikey has a $5 charge on orders less than $25).