[Noisebridge-discuss] security meeting ideas

Glen Jarvis glen at glenjarvis.com
Tue Jul 27 23:54:28 UTC 2010

FYI: Monday nights are incredibly packed with goodies. That's both a good
thing and a bad thing.

The good thing is that there's so much energy and geekiness, that it's'
palpable...

The bad thing is that there are a *lot* of competing events on Monday...  I,
for example, bowed out of the iphone class/meeting early to do hardware
hacking and didn't even get to hacking....  And, I usually do other very
geeky things with friends on Mondays....

Glen

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 4:30 PM,
<travis+ml-noisebridge at subspacefield.org<travis%2Bml-noisebridge at subspacefield.org>
> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I was just looking at the schedule and trying to find an evening slot
> once a month for the Bay Area Hacker's Assocation
> (http://baha.bitrot.info/).  We are security enthusiasts of every
> stripe, but mostly computer security.
>
> We will need a projector and room for perhaps 10 people.
>
> I wouldn't mind 2nd Mondays at 7pm, if we won't conflict with Circuit
> Hacking Mondays.
>
> Our first presentation will probably be on the under-discussed topic
> of physical surveillance (stakeouts).  We'll also have a workshop
> (probably on the weekend) where participants try their skills at
> following a brave volunteer (and probably me, who will observe the
> surveillance from the target's perspective).  Come and find out how
> the movies get it all wrong.
>
> Other topics I'm interested in giving:
> Cable modem hacking
> Encrypted storage
> Encrypted storage attacks
> Modern Key Management
> Surveillance Countermeasures
> Disguise
> Dataveillance
> Video surveillance, detection, and countermeasures
> Software Security
> Technical Surveillance & Countermeasures
> Web 2.0 Crypto
>
> I'd like to enlist some help in some of these - some ideas:
>
> 1) Hardware hackers - it'd be cool to build gadgets:
>   Tracking beacons - modifying a depth finder to track RFID
>   Wearable covert communications gear
>   Voice activation circuits
>   The LED anti-video-surveillance wearables
>   Remote-activation circuits
>   - cameras
>   - other equipment
>   - footswitches for hidden in-car communication devices
>
> 2) Hardware and software platforms:
>   Alarm systems - see http://www.subspacefield.org/security/alarm_system/
>   Voice recognition software
>   Voice alteration software (asterisk, cell phones)
>   Software radio - see
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Software_Radio_Peripheral
>   Wearable and car computers for Sousveillance:
>   - vuzix HUD - http://www.vuzix.com/
>   - face recognition - http://www.eecg.toronto.edu/~mann/
>   - license plate recognition
>
> 3) Disguise (does anyone know someone good at this?):
>   Cosmetics
>   Wigs
>   Fat suits
>   Fake "bad teeth" (distracts from other memorable attributes)
>
> 4) Concealments:
>   Briefcases
>   Books
>   Just about anything else
>
> If anyone is interested in any of these projects, please shoot me an email
> off-list.
> --
> A Weapon of Mass Construction
> My emails do not have attachments; it's a digital signature that your mail
> program doesn't understand. | http://www.subspacefield.org/~travis/
> [...]

Whatever you can do or imagine, begin it;
boldness has beauty, magic, and power in it.

-- Goethe