[Noisebridge-discuss] WPA ant other network Q's

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Thu Jun 3 02:09:48 UTC 2010

Excerpts from Ryan Castellucci's message of Fri May 28 17:07:48 -0700 2010:
> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 11:17 PM, Jonathan Lassoff <jof at thejof.com> wrote:
> > Excerpts from Geoff Horne's message of Thu May 27 17:45:08 -0700 2010:
> >> 1) why isn't WPA enabled for the wireless, surely that will help with
> >>    some of the paranoia
> >
> > Paranoia? What paranoia?
> > I for one prefer it not be configured for a couple of reasons:
> >  1. It's easier for visitors and passers-by to connect to free internet.
> >    I think pervasive wifi is cool.
> >  2. It lures users into a bit of a false sense of security. Just because
> >    the WiFi leg of the network is using WPA doesn't mean someone isn't
> >    still sniffing your traffic.
> >    That said, there's a point behind defense-in-depth.
> >  3. We've got a mix of APs, and as far as I know, there's not a way to
> >    do WPA authentication in a central place without a propriatary box.
> >
> > That said, we have dearth of APs, most of which will support WPA/WPA2.
> > If you're interested in setting any of these up, you're more than
> > welcome. I would be glad to help or show you around.
>
> Centralized WPA authentication doesn't require anything proprietary,
> WPA/WPA2-Enterprise works with FreeRADIUS just fine.

Even on dumb APs that are just acting as bridges? The AP (or whatever
can get at the raw 802.11 frames) needs to support doing so.
That's what I was getting at.

It's pretty widely supported, but it's nice that even "junker" APs work
for noisebridge's purposes.

--j