[Noisebridge-discuss] help glass door closed

Rachel Lyra Hospodar rachel at fernworks.net
Wed Jun 9 10:23:15 UTC 2010

Andrew Isaacson locked it, because there was Nobody Staying Behind when
he left.  He came back to the space after getting Jeff's 'help' email to
make sure everything was ok.  We discussed the general issue with using
this lock: sticky locks, one already with a key broken off in it. I am
volunteering to coordinate getting a locksmith to come and open these
locks up, clean out the gunk, and re-key them if necessary (it may or
may not be possible to have this lock use the same key as the gate).  i
can also get umpteen copies of this key made for distribution, if we
want.  it seems reasonable if this door is going to be locked with any
kind of regularity that this key would be distributed along with the
gate key.  Having come back from dinner to find myself on the other side
of a locked door from my project, laptop, and bicycle, i am in favor of
this approach.

It is also possible that the locks would need to be replaced.  I would
guesstimate this project could cost anywhere from 50-400+ dollars
depending on how screwed up everything is, what we want to do, and what
if anything has to be replaced.  I can try to get some quotes ahead of
time but she may not be able to predict what is there until she opens it
up.  It is probably worth deciding as a group how much re-keying as Sai
describes is worth to us, it may mean replacing a lock cylinder, or may
only be possible in one direction (is this worth doing if everyone's
front door key must be replaced?).

While we're at it, is anyone interested in addressing the lock on the
3rd floor door?

--the other Rachel

n Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 12:45 AM, Rachel McConnell <rachel at xtreme.com>
wrote:
 > In future if anyone is locked out, or in, by these doors, you can call
 > me at 415-810-1022.

Could we have a key kept somewhere in the space?

Jeffrey mentioned on IRC that there was supposed to be one near the
elevator. At 2169 we had a key in the darkroom for this kind of thing.

I think it's probably not sufficient to have an on-call number for
this w/ a keyholder, given that it's a safety hazard as well as
unreasonable burden on keyholders to randomly come by to bail people
out. I can't think of a good argument against keeping one around.

Another possibility: could the glass doors be re-masterkeyed to work
w/ the standard NB key, and we give the other tenants / landlord
front-door-only copies? AFAICT a lot more people have the general key
than the glass door key, and there's no particular reason why we want
to restrict one more tightly than the other.

- Sai