[Noisebridge-discuss] X-10 hardware hacking

dpc weasel at meer.net
Sat Jun 12 05:08:24 UTC 2010

travis+ml-noisebridge at subspacefield.org writes:

> On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 10:00:06AM -0700, Jonathan Foote wrote:
>> Have you busted open a unit to see what the wireless transceiver is?
>>
>> Chances are high it's a cheap commodity chipset like Nordic or Zigbee.
>> If so, you can sniff the serial commands to the transceiver with a
>> scope and roll your own with a microcontroller.
>>
>> I'd be interested in looking inside the box but reverse-engineering
>> the protocol will likely be more labor-intensive.
>
> I did open one.
>
> There aren't any ICs near the antenna, just discrete components.  It's
> kinda weird.  Maybe they figured out something so simple it didn't
> require fancy logic

i haven't really been following along, but there are some ic-ish bits in
the picture link (dtmf decoder/etc). given the age, i'd imagine that it
was doing something older than zigbee.

i bet if you convinced bunnie to do this as one of his ware-of-the-month
thingees you'd get a complete tear-down :-)

\p
---
The worst sin towards our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but be
indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity. - George B. Shaw