[Noisebridge-discuss] Fundraising and membership at NB

Sai Emrys noisebridge at saizai.com
Sat Jun 19 01:04:51 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 3:55 PM, Hephaestus <hephaestus at antipunk.net> wrote:
> Especially since there's no
> functional difference between a paying 'member' and a nonpaying random
> hacker who wants to use the space for free...

Not quite. Members get two things that non-members don't: veto power
(sorry, "the ability to block consensus as a last resort") and shelf
space.

Personally I don't give a damn about either of those perks. That plus
the expense (I don't currently have a job) and the associated drama
that a committed minority of (definitionally veto-holding) members
have invested against my being a member make me completely
uninterested in pursuing membership.

I don't know how typical that is, but 's my 2ยข.

OTOH, I do periodically donate food/drink from the market next door,
teach classes, present at 5MoF, help out w/ buildout / cleanup, etc. I
don't need anybody's permission (read: removal of threat to veto), nor
extra income for luxuries, to do those - which makes me far more
inclined to do them.

> People don't /like/ 'donations'... Even if it's just for a membership
> card and a sense of belonging, people will be much more willing to
> drop $20 after a 5MoF to become an 'affiliate member' rather than drop
> $20 in the donation box as they leave. Besides, it gives people a
> financial obligation, err i mean excuse, to come back to the space and
> contribute.

FWIW I think this is completely true from a behavioral economics standpoint.

It would also probably be worthwhile adding a higher level of
membership ($200/mo?) for people who *are* making a good income, as
many members are. Without any substantive perks, but maybe with some
of the social-recognition sort, like a nice roster thingy on the wall
saying thanks. I'd go for it if I were employed.

The same thing could be done with companies too; most only want some
sort of public recognition. But I suspect that soliciting or accepting
corporate donations would be highly controversial.

- Sai