[Noisebridge-discuss] Fundraising and membership at NB

Christie Dudley longobord at gmail.com
Sat Jun 19 08:53:53 UTC 2010

As the person who mentioned we're operating at a deficit, I think the idea
of having more donation recognition stuff going would be excellent.  I think
any opportunity we have and give people to talk up Noisebridge can only do
us good.

As to why the membership process takes so long... First, it's a guideline or
expectation not a hard and fast rule.  I have seen people fill out their
form and get inducted the same day.  Of course, these were people known to
many, if not all of us and they continue to be active, contributing members.
 We were sure about who we were inducting when we inducted them.
 Interestingly enough it was during just this sort of concern about a cash
crunch that we decided we needed to induct faster. I personally don't see
any reason why an organization such as ours needs to mechanically follow
such a rigid procedure.

However, the expectation is set primarily so that things don't get rushed
and egos don't get bruised as we give people the chance to get to know each
other.  It gives people who have reservations about a prospective member
time to work out any issues they may have.  More, it assuages our fears of
accidentally inducting someone who's destructive to our organization.  We
probably should keep it the rule rather than the exception, but there's no
reason we can't have lots of exceptions, especially for people who obviously
belong like you, Hephaestus.

Christie
_______
"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The
hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."
-- Albert Einstein