[Noisebridge-discuss] Fundraising and membership at NB

Josh Berkus josh at agliodbs.com
Mon Jun 21 17:56:04 UTC 2010

On 6/21/10 10:22 AM, Sai Emrys wrote:
> I would lean towards "no", in that anything labeled a "membership"
> will be interpreted as "membership fees" in that tax sense, which are
> not tax-deductible because you're getting something in return.

Speaking as a former professional fundraiser, the above isn't strictly
true.  It's complex; take the advice of a tax preparer.  Or we can talk
about it when we do the fundraising / PR workshop.

> Remember, tax-purposes "membership" and corporation-purposes
> "Membership" are distinct and only coincidentally named things.

That is true and good to keep in mind.   Speaking of which, is NB a
Membeship-Based Charitable Organization legally?

--
                                  -- Josh Berkus