[Noisebridge-discuss] Mailing address?

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Tue Jun 22 19:11:07 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 11:34:31AM -0700, Sai Emrys wrote:
> The wiki lists the following mailing address[0]:
>     2215-R Market St. #235
>     San Francisco, CA 94114
>
> 1. Does anyone actually check it? Who has the key?

Yes, although not as frequently as we'd like.  I have a key; I think
Rachel and Jeffrey have keys.  Mitch had one (and was our most reliable
mailbox checker) but he's been travelling and busy; I believe his keys
are at 2169.

> 2. Why list a mailing address other than 2169? Is there any reason
> someone can't mail a check to 2169?

a. it's trivial to steal mail from the sidewalk if your hands fit
   through the slot.  We've also had people shove random crap (like gum
   and trash) in the slot.

b. helpful people like to check the mail, take Noisebridge mail
   upstairs, and then leave it in random places such as in the shop,
   resulting in checks getting lost.  We tried having a mail box
   upstairs and it wasn't reliable.  (This could probably be solved
   through appropriate documentation and social norms.)

c. packages delivered to 2169 have no reliable way of being retrieved.
   We've had things returned to sender because the postman/UPS/fedex
   tried three times and nobody answered the door.  This is worse at
   2169 than it was at 83c since the doorbell results in people buzzing
   the gate rather than going to the door.

I'd be delighted if we could reliably receive mail, registered mail, and
packages at our street address, but I couldn't figure out how to solve
(a) and (c) so we went with a PMB instead.

-andy