[Noisebridge-discuss] Bandsaw status

John Magolske listmail at b79.net
Tue Jun 29 06:23:42 UTC 2010

Metal-cutting bandsaws run slower that wood-cutting bandsaws,
cutting speeds are typically slower for harder materials.

One important thing to keep in mind when cutting materials with a
bandsaw -- especially hard materials like metal -- is that there
should ideally be more that one tooth on the material being cut at any
given time. Otherwise the material (like sheetmetal for example) can
get in between the teeth and strip them away.

If the second bandsaw we have (on the floor?) runs slower (I believe
the saw that just got its blade replaced is a variable-speed machine
that likely goes faster), putting a fine-pitch metal-cutting blade on
it (wood-cutting blades tend to be more course) might be a reasonable
option. Wouldn't be the most wonderful metal-cutting saw ever, but
could be ok for some light-duty work. And could help the blade on the
other machine (dedicated to cutting plastic & wood) last longer.

John

* Don French <dcfrench at gmail.com> [100628 22:29]:

--
John Magolske