[Noisebridge-discuss] SF Elementary Math Circle

Rachel Chalmers rachel at goop.org
Fri Mar 26 03:33:09 UTC 2010

Hola Noisebridgians,

I'm trying to pull together a Math Circle for elementary school-age kids (7-10ish) in Bernal and the Mission.

If you're not familiar with the awesomeness that is math circles, there's some good background here:

http://www.mathcircles.org/

My 7yo attended the Berkeley Math Circle last year:

http://mathcircle.berkeley.edu/index.php?options=bmc|bmc_elementary|BMC%20Elementary (that's her in the second pic)

It was amazing and terrific, but she and her dad were schlepping home on BART very late at night, and we'd love to have a closer option. There's already an SF Math Circle for grade 6 and up, but elementary schoolkids aren't provided for. That said, the organizers recommended Irina Lazarevsky as someone who has led groups of this age before. Irina's agreed to run a group for us. I have a bunch of families ready and willing to sign up, but no venue.

I've talked to the libraries but they require free and equal access, and this would be a paid thing ($20/hour) for a limited number of kids (7). I've talked to some schools about renting a classroom but they're expensive ($50/night) and we're already looking at an expensive proposition.

So I wondered if we could work something out with you guys. A donation for your buildout, perhaps? This would be on Wednesday evenings from 6-7, if you have free space. The kids would be supervised at all times and would not be messing with your power tools or biohacking experiments.

Thoughts?

Rachel