[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge Executive Director

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Mon Mar 1 09:05:43 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 01, 2010 at 12:45:21AM -0800, Ever Falling wrote:
> "Another one of the old founding phrases of Noisebridge is applicable
> here:  Try not to solve problems before they occur."

You should really figure out how to properly quote email.

> The thing is the problem IS happening now and is the perfect time to solve
> it.

The corrolary is that we should solve the problem actually in front of
us, not some larger problem we can imagine this being a special case of.
You envision it being a special case of the larger problem "consensus is
broken"; I envision it being a special case of a different larger
problem.

AFAICS, the problem is that we would like to choose a new ED to replace
the previous one, and the process that many of us thought was doing just
fine (consensing on Mitch because he's the best candidate for the job)
apparently has failed.  We should figure out a solution to that problem.

I don't think it justifies turning this into a referendum on the
consensus process.  Yes, consensus is inherently broken (just like
democracy, communism, and capitalism).  Nevertheless, it's served us
pretty well so far despite its warts, and I don't think that the problem
at hand constitutes grounds for a sweeping rework of our founding
principles.

-andy