[Noisebridge-discuss] Unlocking the door via SMS

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Wed Mar 10 21:58:16 UTC 2010

Rachel McConnell wrote:
> If we allow access by sms, then the only thing necessary to get in is
> knowing the number.  And while we could say, don't give out this number
> to anyone unless you would give them a key... well, why not just make
> them a key?  I mean, either the SMS option duplicates existing
> functionality, in which case why bother; or it opens the floodgates.  So
> I'm still not sure whether I like it or not.  I mean, technically I like
> it lots.
>
> Thoughts, anyone?

There is no way to stop something from implementing this - why not allow
everyone to have access to it?

It's also possible to have the script only open the door if the user
knows a shared secret. We could put up a display in the space with "this
weeks sms password" for the door - this should stop random people from
opening the door if they have zero connection to the space. It should
however let new people leave and come back quite easily when they go out
for food. Perhaps well before they've been gifted a key...

Best,
Jake